Thursday, September 4, 2008

TOILET mastectomy O_o

I am currently doing my Long case.It is regarding a 56 year old lady patient who has an advanced left breast cancer ( TNM Staging: T4c, N1, Mx ) .She cried today right in front of me.I was speechless at first, but later managed to calm her down.I cant imagine if I were at her position at that time.She is scheduled for a CT scan tomorrow morning.She will be undergoing a surgical procedure called "Toilet Mastectomy" in order to remove a fungating breast mass ( which in my opinion doesn't look like a breast at all.There was a complete destruction of the nipple and the general breast architecture.It has active bleeding with puss collection already).Why the name 'Toilet"? hmm dont asked me.Miss Anita the surgeon had explained to me earlier but I still dont get it as to why it was named as TOILET mastectomy.I thought it was a typo error initially and had a great laughed, but seriously...the name is toilet.god knows why...
Earlier that day, I was in the OT observing a Total thyroidectomy ( total removal of the thyroid gland).Makcik H had this one HUGEEEEEE anterior neck swelling.The operation began at 9 am with initial problem because the anaesthetist couldn't set the arterial line due to frequent thrombosis.I was standing like 5 hours straight until when the clock showed 2 o'clock, I had to leave the OT and rush to a TBL session.By that time the enlarged thyroid has been successfully being removed.Try to guess the weight? I bet its around 1 to 1.5 kg.Seriously, it was that hugee man...
K ciao~

No comments: